View Single Post
Old 07-14-20, 12:06 AM
Kim in Astoria

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Before you decide to "go Brompton" you need to go test ride one, and not just for 15 minutes. Bromptons are, like many folders, designed as one-size-fits-all and the fact is they don't. They fit a large range of people within certain dimensions, but if you are short like me (5'4") and have a shortish reach, then none of the stock handlebar setups may be comfortable. Brompton's solution is a pentaclip to move the saddle forward but that alters the relationship of your knees to the pedals and to your hips; it's not a good way to fix a bad reach. They are nice bikes but make sure (1) it fits, and (2) you like the brakes because the parts are pretty much all proprietary. They're also heavy so if you have a walkup flat and no elevator, make sure you are comfortable hefting a 26+ bike plus accessories and whatever else you're carrying.
I don't know if Bfold is still around, but if they are, and they're open these days, it's a good place to check out folders. They're knowledgeable folks.
I think you need to decide if you want to go electric - because if you don't then you will definitely want at least a double chain ring, but if you do go electric, you don't need that many gears. You would probably only use one or two gears for your ride and let the motor substitute for the other gearing. So a 3 speed Brompton electrified would likely be just fine for your needs.
There are other options for electric assist for Brompton besides the one they sell, so if you decide to do that, post in the electric bike forum for suggestions on systems.
Oh - and don't assume a higher end bike will have easily adjusted reach brakes. Higher end usually means lighter weight and more mechanical advantage but not necessarily more user friendly or ergonomic. In your case, test ride test ride test ride.
I am 5'4". and that's a definite problem for me, but it may be an issue with a Dahon or any bike really. I am used to hefting weight around so weight under 30 lbs is fine as I reduce stairs as much as I can in my life, but I do theater and film so traveling lots of or heavy things around is normal.

Bfold has nothing left in stock online, like most bike shops in NYC. I sold my Via today for remarkably little loss of value because it's hard to get a bike and mid-range bikes are sold out. I honestly thought it would take a while so I put it up this morning, thinking I'd run errands this week and sell this weekend. Gone in less than 20 hours and only cause I scheduled end of work day for pickup. I'm seeing signs that the stock is improving but it's still an empty market with incredible demand. I assume it is like that everywhere, but here a lot of people are moving to commuting via bike for safety. And there are a lot of us here. I need my bike because I'm vulnerable and I can't use public transportation during this pandemic and taxis/ubers are easily $50-70 for me into the city each way and that adds up for doctor's office visits and daily commutes (which may start in August or may start in April. I still need blood work, though and to shop.) Going to bfold would cost me $140 if they have nothing on hand.

I've realized that for a bike that will end up functioning like a car, I need a really well built bike. I need it before end of November, when Bike Friday delivers. Brompton Junction is getting once a month shipments, but appointments are booked out about a 3-4 weeks now. I made an appointment on one of the first days they were open this month and still am 10 days from the appointment where I can buy a bike. if I buy one it's going to come from what they have on hand. I need my bike as soon as possible so I'm not wanting to futz too much aftermarket to add electric or swap parts. I'm too green to feel comfortable doing that and can't afford the delay if I do need pedal assist to make it to Manhattan. Unless the bike shop in walking distance is stocked (no folders) or it's used, I'm probably not going to get to test ride most bikes. It's probably being shipped directly to me. I do plan on arriving early enough to test ride both powered and regular Bromptons since it's a large outlay of cash.

This is the problem with shopping now when you need it. I can't tool around the way you're suggesting. Totally understandable suggestions, but not practical now.