View Single Post
Old 07-14-20, 11:13 PM
Kim in Astoria

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new so I was limited to 5 posts and I needed to wait after my last post yesterday.

Originally Posted by Fentuz
acf50 is a coating so when you clean properly (not just a wet wise or quick jetwash) , it goes and you need to reapply

Sounds like the underarmour we'd put on our cars to preserve it in Detroit. Good to know that exists for bikes. I'll chat with the Brompton shop & my mechanic about winterizing/frame coating. Realistically, I expect a second wave (sobering a thought as it is) to curtail any commute need at the height of winter for this year at least.

Originally Posted by linberl
Also, there's a cool e-bike assist unit available for Brompton by a guy who lives in NY and rides a Brommie. I have it on my Bike Friday and also swap it on to my Dahon. There are some other folks in NY who have them on Brommies also. You might want to reach out to him and see if he can either put you in touch with some of the other users, to hear about their experiences, or see if you can maybe even test ride his bike. Also, there is a review of a guy with a Brommie using it The inventor is Jeff, the product is OneMotor and I've had mine a year and 1 month and love it. It might work for you once you get your bike.
Thank you for this, I expect I may end up with a couple of bikes and may want some sort of motor for days when I can't go by my strength. This would be the perfect solution for me.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Only Bike Friday has made their building process adjustable enough to offer a bike frame sized to the rider,
but they also build your bike in a Queue with the other orders. so don t have a warehouse of ready to ship bikes....
I have been looking at a Bike Friday since I started looking into folding bikes years ago and was sorry the delay was so long to get one, However, yesterday I found a pocket llama, complete with touring racks, that my mechanic thought just needed a tuneup and would be great for me, so I pulled the trigger on that at a great price. No discs, but I'm hoping the brake levers can be adjusted or swapped for levers I can adjust. It's the kind of find that even if I decide the Brompton is a better NYC commuter, I can't afford to not buy at the value. (Got it for $600, with shipping & tax came to 750.)

Honestly shopping for bikes made me so much more interested in touring bikes. I love the idea when the pandemic passes of taking a train with a folder into Boston or Provincetown and exploring New England on a long weekend with the bike as my primary means of transport. Or like now, taking an Amtrak into Finger Lakes for the day or just reaching a beach that's outside of walking distance and Public Transportation. It genuinely makes my heart happy to be free to really explore, so I'm super stoked about the possibilities of it. But first to get into shape for that!

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Try to test an H model Brompton if you can. It's marketed to taller riders but I'm 5'-6" with arthritis in my wrists and couldn't make the M bar work. The H is taller and works for me tilted back a bit from the way you usually see them in pics.
This is good to hear. I've been looking at handlebars generally and realizing that my be the big mod I do on all my bikes for comfort and painfree travel. The Bike Friday I found has H handlebars, so I will get to see how they work for me.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
True .. + the H can always be altered with a lower rise handlebar.. there are plenty of options there...
I have no idea what this means. Please enlighten me. :-)

Last edited by Kim in Astoria; 07-14-20 at 11:17 PM.