View Single Post
Old 09-07-20, 04:20 PM
JakeNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Need help roading my gravel

Hello, I bought a Topstone AL 105 in early July and love it. I just started riding after a near 20 year hiatus. I've ridden some rail trails not too far away, as well as the carriage roads in Acadia, and the WTB Riddlers are great. I'm surrounded by tarmac and want a second set of wheels and tires. Looking at the price of the cassette, it seems obvious I should put a new cassette on the second set of wheels I buy for road tires.
Also, which tires on which wheels? I'm looking for the best buy choice, so carbon wheels is not something I want to invest in- I will be riding for pleasure and pushing myself for exercise on the tarmac, and not racing.
I'm also thinking of buying a new larger geared crank because I haven't gone lower than 4th gear on my larger crank ring in the last month and I run out gearing on the flats and going downhill. I know I'll need a new bottom bracket as well, but am not sure about the crank length.
It all adds up to a lot of money that makes me think of just trying to get $50 - $100 for my old Raleigh and just pick up a used road bike, but I'm trying to get rid of stuff not buy more.

Recommendations?

Last edited by JakeNY; 09-07-20 at 04:26 PM.