View Single Post
Old 09-07-20, 05:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
One thought is use the stock WTB TCS i23 28 spoke wheels for road use with road tires and a road oriented cassette, then add a 2nd beefier set of wheels with the Riddler tires and the existing 11-34 cassette. You retain the hill gears for gravel use. The question is - how heavy are you, and do you need a 32 spoke wheel ?, or can you get away with a lighter wheel, especially in the rear. You can easily get a set of Shimano GRX 24 spoke gravel wheels, plus cassette, plus rotors, plus whatever tire size you want, for about $600. I’m having a spare rear wheel built from Universal Cycles, Mavic rim, 105 hub, 32 DT double butted spokes, hand built. The price for front and rear is $460. Note though that currently, Shimano CenterLock disc rotors are really hard to find.

I would do wheels first and not yet change the crank. A 46/30 is a really useful range for hills. Also ask yourself how fast you need to go, as a 46 ring with an 11 cog is about 26-28 mph. Do you need more speed than that ?, or do you just need a cassette with closer gearing ?. I run a 12-25 on my road wheels for mostly flat riding with a few local hills (Long Island), where I want the one tooth jumps thru a lot of the range.

Try that a while, before swapping cranks. It’s about $135 or so to go to a 105 crank with 50/34 rings and a new b-bracket. I’ve the same bike as BTW, love it.
This is all excellent advice, especially the part (echoed by another poster) about perhaps sticking with the current crankset and learning to spin a bit better. Even most strong cyclists will have only occasional need of a gear higher than 46-11.

A regular poster around here, dwmckee , owns a bike shop that specializes in gravel bikes, and he has recommended the GRX wheelset as a great value. I'd take his word for it.