View Single Post
Old 03-30-21, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d
will be doing the c&o canal this summer for the second time. Last year I did it with my 1987 Panasonic dx 5000 road bike. I enjoyed the trip a great deal, but my butt did not. I thought of converting this bike and asked some questions in the mechanics section, but the consensus seems to be bad idea.

So any suggestions for a vintage hybrid suitable For touring would be appreciated. Please factor in my poverty to any suggestions.

As always thanks
Originally Posted by mark d
Thks for all the replies guys. Cannot measure or take photos of anything now, I am on my ship until may.

Handlebar padding is probably a good idea. I had leather wrap with no padding

As to frame size I can stand over it comfortably but my package does touch

One other thing I did not make clear, the main reason I am thinking of getting a hybrid is tire size. I have 23mm now. I asked in the mech forum if I could get much wider. And the consensus seems to be no.......I had no problem with 23mm last year but it was super dry

You want bike suggestions for the used market but you are on a boat for the next month so most likely anything that is suggested will be sold by then.
If you just want general ideas- rigid 26" MTB or an early 90s hybrid. Once you are on land, find one in your size in your price range and buy it. There are a couple dozen different brands and a few dozen different models for any given year. No point in listing all those possibilities.