View Single Post
Old 08-26-16, 08:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by king88uy7
I'm curious how other commuters handle getting close passed...

I give myself about four feet from the parked cars and this puts me about a foot inside the lane. This lane position causes drivers to squeeze past me in the same lane. If I move left to take the lane, drivers punish me by passing close at high acceleration. These are both scary.

How do you all handle this situation? I'm thinking the best thing is to just stay as far right as possible and ignore the close passes. Does anyone have anyadvice? Thanks.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I passed a car with no lights on at night under a street lamp. 9:00 at night, long after the library across thestreet closed. Door opened into my handlebars. I passed a VW squareback I couldsee into and saw no one. The mom inside was bent forward gathering her kidstoys from the passenger floor. She opened the door into my face.

Your advice works most of the time. The times it doesn't you will remember the rest of your life. Trust me...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
One of my Riding Safety Aphorisms that I keep in mind to stay safe is When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights.” More likely if a cager is driving without headlights, he/she is distracted.

[To illustrate my concept of Safety Aphorisms, I posted these recently that always come to mind in these particular situations:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…surely a car door is one of the most frequent and dangerous obstacles. I have an aphorism, Like a weapon, always assume a stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit, from either side
I’m pretty comfortable riding in traffic (even after being hit from behind four years ago), and these and other aphorisms, gleaned from years of experience, alert me to those situations where unseen dangers may lurk. But more importantly I'm comfortable because I wear and use a rearview mirror (not to turn this into a popcorn thread).

Of course, you could always move to Boston, a city known for its pleasant relations between cars and cycles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2784[1].jpg (94.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2782.jpg (96.3 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-27-16 at 09:44 AM.