View Single Post
Old 08-26-18, 12:18 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
You do have a point--e.g., if you bought a car $30k and drove it to work 5 days a week and sold it for $2K, 4 years later, that'd be ~$7K /yr in expenses not including operating costs, tolls and etc.-- all together, say $10K per year in transportation costs. Given personal and employment taxes you'd probably need to earn anywhere from $12-20K to afford that extra $10K compared to walking or cycling to work... depending on your total gross income, which at a lower wage rate would be and extra, ~$5.80 /hr. And, that's pretty much where the free market comes in... i.e., employers are willing to pay that much extra to enjoy the benefits of drawing on a labor pool that is larger than a bike ride or brisk walk away from the workplace.
OK, now we are getting somewhere. Time is left, but time is money as they say, if it takes me

1Hr to bike to work on my bicycle but it only costs me 500$ a year, or
1/2Hr a day to take the bus/public transportation and costs me $1,500 a year, compared to
15minutes by car but it costs me $10,000 a year...

What actually will cost more in both time and $$$? I again will propose that transportation in a car will cost more, and take more time, when you add the extra time you MUST work to make the extra moneys you would need to achieve transportation by car, what would seem to get you a step ahead, but not really... JMO as I see it.you are actually/really a few steps behind, in time & money driving the car. Yes, out of the box thinking BUT quite logical... No?