View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 10:01 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The boxcar example, and the trailer one prior to that, were given as extremes that would demonstrate with ease that weight does in fact matter on the flat. A fact that I believe you agree with. They were posted as a way to rebut those claiming more weight doesn't matter... because clearly it does, whether you can notice it or not.
Have you actually tried the boxcar or trailer example or just making a huge assumption? I have pedaled a 1,000+ lb railcar bike and can attest on the flats its was extremely easy to pedal. It was quite fun. I already new that weight made very little difference, but after pedaling 1,000 lbs it dawned on my just how insignificant weight can be except getting started and going up hills. Also the very heavy weight with much more momentum allowed for more coasting (along with an assumed lower rolling resistance), so I'd say the weight made a positive difference for me.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
We're quibbling over the meaning of the word "matter".
Exactly... weight matters to people in different ways. many non performance related like some people would refuse to ride a heavy bike for nothing other than elitism. Some would be happy that getting a heavier bike was cheaper and perhaps allowed them to spend money on other more needed things, so there is that. If you are lacking in upper body strength a heavy bike might be more difficult to wrangle onto a bike carrier. For performance, still depends what your goals are.. but as far as speed/effort on the flats its going to make about no practical difference, which seems what this thread is mostly geared to. Even if it did, does it really matter? Depends on your goals here... are you racing? Are you trying to not sweat in your clothes going to work? Are you training to be stronger? Usually athletes who are training to be stronger purposely exercise with more and more weight. No one brags about being able to bench press 10 less pounds today. I don't race competitively so even in the hills I don't mind a heavier bike, especially if it has other advantages (like racks and bags and may want to use).

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can attest, however, that a 20 pound bicycle is easier to ride pretty much anywhere than a 55 pound bicycle. I rode the latter 90 miles in one day, once. Interesting experience.
For the heck of it I did just about what you are saying, and did not hardly notice the extra weight. Actually it was my first ever 100 miler a few years ago. I wanted to get a good shakedown ride with my touring bike I just added new racks and panniers and other gear too, and also wanted to simulate the extra weight I would be carrying fully loaded for touring since I have never cycled with any kind of heavy load other that a bottle of water and my emergency supplies in my saddlebag. So to my 20-some pound touring bike I added another 20-30 lbs in ballast weight, and completed my first 100 miler. It was pretty flat rail trail, and iirc I lost about 2-3 mph compared to my usual rides that are 20-30 miles. Not too shabby considering most of that loss was just the limits of my endurance having only done just a couple 50+ mile rides prior. Usually when people are talking about a 55 pound bike vs a 20 pound bike they are talking about completely different bikes of different build/quality/gearing/etc. But if you use the exact same bike, and just add some weight, the difference is very little and insignificant to most on flat courses with few stops. It can actually give you a mental boost when you pass someone with a multi-thousand dollar carbon fiber road bike on your 1988 steel Schwinn loaded with bags and gear because they think all that weight makes it so much harder and are shocked how easily you are passing them by. Actually they may be jealous of the 4 bottles of local wine you just bought at the farmers market in the middle of your tour through the Adirondack Mountains. Yes even in the hills on a long ride I believe I was much happier cycling after I added the weight of 4 bottles of wine.

In summary, extra weight is meaningless to me on a flat course, and even on a hilly course I don't mind it, its extra training load is all.

Last edited by T Stew; 07-10-19 at 10:09 AM.