Old 08-05-19, 02:33 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
But I'm curious what y'all have in your areas.

Down here we got the Cohutta, the best climbs of which are just south of the Tennessee border. Did this yesterday, it's a monster. Entirely gravel with varying surface, short sections of smooth dirt, a ton of embedded rock, loose crusher run, lots of washboard and dozens of punchy 9-11% sections - that are also loose and chunky. It ate up a ton of riders, I passed several that were riding strong until mile 7-8 and then ended up walking after a seriously steep loose section. Guy ahead of me stopped, sat on the ground and when I asked if he was ok he said "I just can't climb anymore right now" with a thousand yard stare into the trees. The future as a chunky gravel road stretching up into the sky you climb but it never ends.

Anyway, my thread prompt was I saw a couple riders I follow on Strava (Erik Newsholme & Brian Toone) did Pikes Peak but I've given to understand that's been paved. So I was genuinely curious who has access to the longest unpaved climb. I suspect it's out in Colorado or Washington somewhere. Or even *gasp* California. Even if it is longer I bet it's not as hard as our stuff, Georgia gravel is the best. Unless I move somewhere else then that gravel'll be the best
Maybe a little OT, but please share some details on that bike. Suspension with drop bars? What frame is it? There are definitely some tough climbs in the Cohuttas. Did the potato patch climb last November. IIRC it was 1,500 ft climbing, with 12-15% grades. Took about an hour to climb, half hour to descend in rainy weather :-D

Dave