Old 08-16-05, 10:02 PM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
I'm not sure that would be possible without extensive modifications to the frame on the Condor. Unless there's a kit from Optima I'm not aware of, but I doubt it. Besides, I think I know why they used direct steering on this bike: it increases space for bags on the sides of the bike. This is a tourer after all :-)

But that's okay. I got the bike pretty much figured out now. I still mess up my starts occasionally, but I'm getting the hang of it. The only thing I'm not so happy with is the turning radius, but I think it's common to most USS bikes. I can always make an even more radical handlebar with adequately placed cutouts where it meets the seat post to get more turning ability if I feel the need in the future.
I think you might get a kit from Radius. They use a broad metal-ring of aluminium attached around the frame to support the whole steering system. This system is much better in terms of negociating curves, space and so forth. When it comes to touring, there is no problem carrying Ortliebs bags, a tent a mattress and a sleepingbag.