Old 07-07-20, 01:32 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Revracer
What techniques work for you to manage heat on a long distance ride?
1. Being already well-hydrated prior to the effort. (Starting the night before.)

2. Having plenty of liquids (including electrolytes) along the way, at an intake far greater than my "usual" (lower-temps) intake.

3. Carrying a couple of bottles of ice can help, as they'll melt as the ride progresses, yet offer cooler fluids for intake. Or, normal bottle cages with water/electrolyte, and a bar or trunk bag containing a couple bottles of crushed ice.

4. Have several "convenience" stops (to hydrate, rest, get out of the heat, etc). Depends on route selection, of course. On hotter days, I've always tried to keep "closer to home" (ie, closer to lots of people, spots where water and food could be had, where a phone call could get made if needed).

5. Go at reduced effort, particularly if the route is longer, the heat hotter, or the challenge greater than normal. (As with a hillier course, or several more hours than usual, or 10-20ºF hotter than usual.) Smarter and safer, when it gets really hot, or when the body's just not "on" that day in those conditions. It happens. Better that, than heatstroke (which is no joke).

6. Definitely, avoiding the hottest part of the day. If that means rides or runs before 9am or after 8pm, so be it. Have done that on a few occasions, when there was no other way to get the work in, given an upcoming race and temps in the approaching weeks getting "up there." Or, can select a route where the hardest portions are done in lower temps, leaving the easier stuff for the hotter and uglier part of the day.

Have done these basic steps on 12+ hour hikes, 3+ hour runs, and 3+ hour rides, all in temps ranging from 85-110ºF. Won't necessarily work for everyone, but I found these basic steps to work for me.

Obvious stuff, but still.