Old 07-26-20, 01:16 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long vs short training rides for double century

I'm aiming for a double century ride (~315km) in early January - a route of my own devising, with one 1000m climb and a few other undulating sections. Normally, in preparation I'd head out on lots of 100-150km rides, both for training and because I enjoy them. (My previous longest day ride was 220km, but back in 2014. I think I'm ok with the psychology and logistics parts of the ride, I'm just trying to get back into that kind of shape from a kind of moderate fitness base.).

However. My city is currently in lockdown, with a vague rule about "not exercising outside your neighborhood". So to do more than about 40km at a time basically means loops, which I find a bit dull if they're back to back.

So my question is: what is the difference in outcome between say:

1) Monday: 2x40km loops back to back (80km), Tuesday rest
2) Monday: 40km loop, Tuesday: 40km loop

That is: is it better or worse for that second loop to be straight after the first one, or when starting fresh?

I am currently also doing a bit of interval training, although since I'm a bit new to it, I'm probably not doing it "right". (Basically, riding up a hill as hard as I can, which takes around 2 minutes, ~4 times in a row.)

(I'm lucky to have quite a bit of flexibility in my schedule, and can ride during business hours. Less lucky to live in a big, locked down city with a lot of people on bike paths etc, and police waiting to question you about being too far from home...)