View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 01:23 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Ready to give-up on tubeless road tires

Recently, I was on a Brevet and I got a front wheel flat. The sealant did not seal the puncture that must had been small because I couldn't detect it. When installing the inner tube I noticed the sealant had a yellowish colour instead of white so it must have deteriorated otherwise it should have sealed the small puncture.
It was cold and dark.

I've been using tubeless road tires since 2011 to reduce flats for the following 2 reasons.
One reason is when I race I do not have support to replace a wheel if I get a flat, and the other
on brevets so I don't have to deal with flats on a cold or rainy night.

However, I have found the following drawbacks using them.

1. The sealant leaves a "gummy" residue on the tires and rims which is difficult to remove.
2. I have had rims corrode from the sealant-alloy combination so much that had to be replaced.
3. This residue accumulates so you have to clean the tires and rims at least once a year.
4. After you clean the tires and rims they are difficult to seal again even with a compressor. So I sometimes end up replacing the tire even though it's not worn.
5. If you get a flat, and for some reason it does not seal itself, and you have to install an inner tube it's a mess.
6. When you have to install an inner tube on the road you need a small pliers to loosen the valve ring.

I would rather have a heavier puncture resistance tire than deal with above drawbacks.
Opinions pls
Likes For yannisg: