Old 01-16-21, 09:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oh my yes, you'd notice quite a difference with some modern equipment. I'd say - don't buy a new bike, buy a used carbon bike, old enough that it's for sale because the owner upgraded. 10-speed is probably the sweet spot. Buy a rear wheel with a wireless hub power meter on ebay if the bike doesn't already have one. Hub meters are for sale because so many people are going with crank and pedal PMs. For a head unit, get a Garmin 800 or 820, ebay again. I have 2 Garmin Edge devices I bought on ebay years ago, never a problem with them. You'll also need to upload your data to somewhere I use TrainingPeaks, premium subscription.

The tricky thing with buying a used bike is fit. You can use a bike fit calculator to get suitable frame dimensions and then refer to manufacturer's charts of their bike dimensions to see if a bike will work for you or not. You should be able to narrow the sizing thing down fairly quickly by researching a few candidate bikes. I'd want to have any used bike I was buying sight unseen inspected by the seller's bike shop.