View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 07:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11012 Post(s)
Liked 7,544 Times in 4,218 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
$200 for a hubset is where the bottom of consumer hubs is. Even the Bitex rear hub by itself is a $100-$150 part.

I think Velocity has a hubset around $250, but it'll be heavier. Even the Hope and Shimano and DT350 are like $100+ just for a front hub, add in the front and you're probably 50% over your desired budget. DT makes a lower tier hub, the DT370 that I've seen on DT's own wheelsets--but Prowheelbuilder for example doesn't list them as a discreet part.

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/prod...&price=100-200

Granted Prowheelbuilder and other wheelbuilders will probably do the build for less than the MSRP or MAP of the individual parts. If not regularly then PWB for example has sales all the time (they have an ongoing 4th of July sale ATM)
Good info, thanks. I'm coming to this from road hubs as that's what I have on all my road bikes, touring bike, and gravel bike.
Ultegra 6800 hubs cost $125 total for both from Jenson and PWB sells the bitex ra12 hub set for $200, so I figured that $200 mark would have hubs that aren't bottom of the barrel.
But I figured that because I haven't viewed the bitex ra12 hubs as bottom of the barrel since they cost more, are lighter, and have been as reliable as Ultegra 6800 hubs...and I don't view 6800 hubs as bad. Heavy yes, but not bad.

Looks like I have a good bit of learning to do on what makes disc hubs 'good' and 'bad' beyond the number of engagement points.