View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 04:25 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
State of the art stuff was little tablets (Clini-tabs I think) you placed in a test tube AFTER adding 10 drops of water to 5 drops of urine. The color told you qualitatively if you were spilling sugar or not. Later came the Clini-sticks where you just "pi**ed" on the stick and it showed a qualitative color change.
I remember those tablets. They'd foam up and then tell you what your blood sugar was doing four hours ago. Not so great if you wanted to know what it's doing right now. Then after the Clini-stix came the stick you bled on then waited (60 seconds?) to wipe off the blood then another 60 seconds to see the resulting color. That was better. I didn't ride back then, but I took those with me on kayak trips, with a couple cotton balls with the sticks in the tube in a zip-loc in a dry bag clipped into my kayak. I think, but I'm not sure, that those were the same sticks I used with my first meter. Treatment options really have improved.

I check my blood sugars 6X daily, and more if bicycling.
Same here. One reason (out of many) that I ride solo is I'm stopping every half hour to test. I had a big ride a week ago where I had to stop for 25 minutes and wait for food to digest and get ahead of my burn rate. I can't see that working in a group setting. That's fine, solo's great.

I wonder if anybody's worked on correlating power meter data with glucose burn.