Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4443 Post(s)
Liked 4,550 Times in 3,044 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
My fastest 200k ever was a 11pm departure out of San Angelo, TX. July 14, 2017. 07:30 elapsed time, solo. I'll tell you what, I did that ride several times at night, and it's darned spooky out there in the middle of frickin' nowhere, with not a single car from midnight to 5am.

IIRC, it was still over 100F when I departed. But it's a dry heat, they say ROFLMAO. Dry heat sucks the water out of your body faster than you can drink. At least at 11pm-6am the sun isn't killing you.

It's a left out of the parking lot, then a right onto the highway, straight down to Sonora with nothing in-between except a closed down Eldorado, fuel and water at the Sonora convenience store, back north on the highway, left, right. Six turns, 201km. Nothing to keep you company but the wind, which guaranteed will be blowing one way or the other.

Cheers, from cool and green Oregon
Yes, just a few hours ago I almost collided with a deer. I was on routes where I know the roads very well so I know where the deer tend to be. Not nearly as lonely as the route you cruised at night. Skunks and rattlesnakes is my biggest fear. It was great to get out of the hot sun and the old boring route is like new at night it feels like a completely different route. I haven’t cycled at night very much so this is new and keeping the sport fresh.
Likes For Hondo Gravel: