Old 05-11-19, 12:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I don't see what the problem is or what your concern is? There is already a growing movement to make prize money comparable between men and women's events.
If the law does pass and if identical means same purse (and it does to some), it will lead to elimination of less profitable categories, or have all genders race together.

It depends a bit how identical is defined. If identical means the same cut of profits goes to the winners, that is fair, but very hard to measure. For local races, where no one watches, a cut of the entry fee works. Just that there is a push (UCSD Boulevard RR example below) to make purses the same.

For pro races like the Tour of California there is a men's and women's race. The races are very different in length and revenue draw. I have no idea how they would make that prize identical. There would be lawsuits. It is much easier for the promoter to just cancel the women's race. Any gender can race the open races now (if they are good enough) and any winner gets the winners prize.

The author of the bill has a comment that she received 1/3 the prize of the man (not mentioned what type, but surfing was used as an example) who won his event. I know some about surfing culture and women surfers do draw fans, and sponsors. What proportion to men - don't know.

How to make these identical - only the lawyers will win.

Last edited by Doge; 05-11-19 at 12:31 PM.