just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Being 70 means that I've been training for longer than most folks here have been alive.
I'll give you that. However, that should never mean there's no room for improvement. When it comes to the science of exercise, we're learning something new everyday.
Case in point. Explosive strength needed in anaerobic exercise requires fast-burn carbs which will be depleted in you perform aerobic exercise prior.I had some trepidation about that myself.
I'm one of those people who's constantly experimenting on themselves. Being self-coached means that one has to gather all one's data from oneself and one wants a broad spectrum of activity and activity scheduling from which to draw inferences. I've been trying to learn something new everyday for almost 73 years now. I read all the applicable studies I can find.

Riding for an hour before lifting, which has been my practice, means that one burns hardly any carbs. I usually do the whole hour without eating or drinking and feel only good effects from so doing. People think they burn a lot more calories than they do. Riding for an hour's going to be mostly fat burning with a little carbs here and there - maybe.

I don't notice any real difference in max weight whether I ride first or not. If you aren't getting the same results, try doing your training rides up to 2 hours or so without eating during, to stimulate fat burning. A few weeks of that should make a noticeable difference. And then limit riding before lifting to only an hour. I should also note here that I only lift for 1 to 1.25 hours, twice a week. Any more than that has been detrimental to my other training. One's HR doesn't get up while lifting, at least not if one is in good condition, but that doesn't mean that lifting doesn't qualify as intense training - it does. YMMV.

Yes, I've experimented. I experiment on everything. One of the things I tell myself and anyone who'll listen is that getting older means you can't train harder anymore, you have to train smarter. But why be such a nut and insist on riding first? Simply because that's another 2 hours of aerobic training for the week. And it's a good warmup. One notices that the gym rats all lift first and then do their aerobics. That's because one should do one's goal activity first if one's doing two. My goal activity is cycling.

My latest experiment is training according to HRV. That's complicated and will take a while to show whatever results. I also have a couple of other experiments going, too early for results.

It's too bad that this thread has gone dead. Have at it!