Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually it kinda is. The key behind weight training is "progressive resistance." Therefore, if you're not moving forward, (even by small increments) you're stagnating at a less than optimal rate. At that point, you need to "do something" different to regain your progress.
Hillarious. Let me know when you're making progress on your lifts while your aerobic TSS is ~600. Last Sunday I rode 75 miles and 5500' then hiked for 4.5 hours the next day with a 25# backpack. This coming Sunday, I'll ride 115 miles and 7000', and of course I rode during the week some, too. That should give me a TSS for the week of 659. Then I'll hike the next day, too.

Lifting at all while doing strenuous cycling training is already a bit unusual. There are serious endurance cyclists on BF who think any lifting is a bad idea. That is a reasonable viewpoint with some scientific studies to support it. It's even more outré to lift during the competitive season. In fact I had to eliminate my gym day this week because the training stress was already at (or maybe over) my limit.

Most of the year, I lift twice a week for about 2 total hours. That's enough to make progress. Once a week maintains the strength and thigh muscle size I achieved during the build phase.

You're doing everything perfectly w/r to diet and training. So go out for a bike shop group ride and see if you can stay with the leaders on the hills. That's the only rational metric for a cyclist. How much one can lift really makes no difference. Only climbing performance counts.