Old 11-17-20, 01:12 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGlory
My local Bike Shop has a Farley in stock and a Borealis on the way. Both carbon. Any thoughts on these bikes?

Further Disclosure: I an trading a road bike in through the Pro Closet program so it will almost be an even swap.
I don't know the specific bikes, but I'm already on my second fatbike frame. I have an RSD Mayor and am happy with it. Here some things to look for:
- low standover (your feet sink in snow lower than your tires!)
- large tire clearance for 27.5x4.5 studded or 26x4.8. Even if the current wheels are smaller, in the future you may want to upgrade
- modern geometry. This can't be upgraded, so it is a one time deal! I spent $600 to upgrade geometry. Learn from me and buy correct geometry right away.
- avoid pressfit BB
- either use a rigid CF fork, or Manitou Mastodon. Nothing else. Don't cheap out here, upgrading this later is expensive.
- routing for internal dropper. External droppers suck and are limited in choice. I don't care about routing for brake and shifter, all that can be external. Routing that internally does exactly nothing for riding experience.
- if you plan to keep the wheels for the time being, make sure they are tubeless ready. But you will learn that wheels are a popular upgrade item. Same for tires.

Most other things can be upgraded. Obviously getting good brakes and drivetrain right away is nice. But not a deal breaker like the wrong frame. Handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle, pedals are more a personal choice and fit item. If those are bad on the bike I wouldn't worry about since you end up swapping those anyway.
The bike brand matters less as long as the geometry is good. an SX RD will suck on a Borealis as much as it will suck on a trek. Neither company has their own production capacity anyway, they have their designs manufactured by Giant, or other manufacturers.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 11-17-20 at 01:15 PM.
Likes For HerrKaLeun: