Old 11-26-20, 10:18 PM
urlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm in over my head...where to find help

We have a growing young family (including being on a journey of fostering) and are spending more and more time riding. Yep, if you pass us we're one of the ones with multiple bike trailers along kids on their own bikes doing the best they can to stay on their side of the path. Because of a limited budget we have a number of hand-me-downs which has been great. But now that the older kids are starting to use multi-speed bikes, I don't have the know-how to make major adjustments to derailleurs etc. We were just give a couple of really nice Giant youth bikes that need some adjustments. I bought a bike repair stand and started watching youtubes but can't figure it out. Taking a bike to a local shop costs $140 for a tuneup which just won't work with 5 or so bikes in play at any given time. Finally getting to my questions...
1. Where would one go to get some basic 101 training on how to make bike repairs?
2. Are there local bike aficionados who take on light repair work for less than what the brick and mortar shops charge?

Thanks for helping a newbie.