Old 03-08-21, 04:41 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Parkyy16
Looking for a new race bike, already have an endurance bike.

How do you get a race bike when you have an endurance bike that fits already?

For example, I'm 5'9", 32" inseam with reasonable flexibility to touch my toes.

If I have a bike with reach and stack of 373mm and 570mm that fits well, would it make sense to go to a race bike with 390mm reach and 550mm stack for a racier fit?

The main geometry differences between a race bike and an endurance bike (besides reach and stack) will be head tube angle, chainstay length, and wheelbase. Generally speaking, the race bike will have a steeper head tube angle, shorter chainstays and a shorter wheelbase. These geometry differences translate into significant differences in handling between the race bike and the endurance bike.

A race bike needs to be very responsive to steering commands and must be able to corner aggressively. The steeper angle of the head tube, shorter chainstays and the shorter wheelbase all contibute to more nimble handling.

The endurance bike needs to go straight and be comfortable over long distances. The slacker angle of the head tube, longer chainstays and longer wheelbase provide those attributes.

If you know your "ideal" geometry for an endurance bike, that's not a bad starting point for narrowing the field of possibilities for a race bike. However, it's just a starting point. It's not a formula.
Likes For Cyclist0100: