Old 04-13-17, 07:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
See, I've done the zero to hero thing and wound up very very injured ignoring repetitive stress stuff. inflamed achilles lead to altering my pedaling form which lead to runners knee in both knees (from biking!), which lead to a really weird issue with my left hip. Then I had to take 6 weeks off entirely so all the #swole I had achieved went away and I had to start over again. And that was in 2011, after I had been training off and on half-assing it since I first started riding in like 2006. You're much better off doing regular workloads as your body adapts, and doing that consistently over time.

The advice I am giving is coming from personal experience. As a perma-3 I've done the Tucson winter thing 2x, went to Belgium for a winter, yadda yadda. Monster volume without long-term consistency really just doesn't pay off at all. It wasn't until 2014 when I got a power meter and started listening to my coach that the gains started coming. He started me off with like 10-12hr weeks and then during base I was doing like 15-18hrs a week and thought I was crushing it. Even then I was definitely riding too hard (which was my fault, my coach kept being like dial it back, too many watts). The whole saga is laid out in the various training threads. It's super super obvious I had no idea wtf I was doing haha, and even now it's only like the past year or so that things have really come together and I get "it".

Anyway like I said, the enthusiasm is awesome, but don't let it cloud your better judgment.