Old 10-27-18, 09:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I looked at the Trek Domaine on Trek's website. I got a bit of a nose bleed from the price but hey, it seems competitive with other bikes in its class.

At that price point, I would want a test ride for at least a day. My approach is to listen to the features and benefits and then discuss how I can take this bike out for a ride to experience it for myself and compare its performance with what I currently own.

I have another problem, not a luddite. I own a lot of high end wheels that create a legacy problem when switching to disc brakes. The wheels are useless if I purchase a road bike with disc brakes. And I have a time trial bike that shares race and training wheels with my road bike.

I have a tandem with a rear disc brake. It works well and stops the bike but is very noisy and I keep tweaking the brake to tune out the noise. During this year's Tour de France, the commentators noted the sound of the disc brakes engaging on descents. I hate noisy crap on bikes or cars. The Black Prince brake pads that I use on the Fast Forward wheel carbon rims with the enhanced braking surface are quiet and stop effectively. Having said that, I was at a cycling camp in Italy riding in the early morning fog and it was hilly. Everything was wet - me, glasses, bike and rims and the brakes worked but with reduced braking. So even if I do not intentionally ride in the rain, on wet roads or in fog, sometimes I am just into those conditions and disc brakes would be more effective.

I have a racing friend who has a bike with disc brakes and he claims that he can descend faster because he can brake later into a turn with confidence.

I used to go on group rides with a coach. He would follow us in his van and carry a set of wheels in case one of us got a flat. Now to get wheel support, there must be both disc and conventional wheels on board.

I think the advantage of age (not disadvantage) is that we have more experience and are in the position to use that experience to evaluate new value propositions and select what is best for us and use a salesman's pitch to provide the information as a point of departure.