Old 10-28-18, 05:03 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Doull claims Kittel's 'lethal' disc brake bike almost caused serious injury | Cyclingnews.com (not caused by a disc)

Compton injured by disc brake rotor in Lille | Cyclingnews.com

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...rs-horror-inj/ (Ventoso "welcomes" the return of disc brakes, team managers disputed his claim that a disc caused his injury)

I could go on ... but I presume you know how to use Google.
Yeah, isn't Google great?

You can even find up to date information, like this:

"Safety: Lack of Injuries Calm Sharp Edge Concerns

WorldTour riders have been highly critical about disc brakes, voicing concerns of sharp-edged rotors in crashes. But to the extent that discs have been used, the fears haven’t borne out. There have been just a handful of crashes where riders allege that disc brakes caused an injury and in two of them—Francisco Ventoso’s crash in the 2016 Paris-Roubaix and Owain Doull’s crash at last year’s Tour of Abu Dhabi—official review found no evidence that discs caused their injuries (video from Doull’s crash suggests it was a fence). And no, discs will not really cut a shoe (a contention made by Sky's Owain Doull after a crash in last year's Abu Dhabi Tour left a slice in his left shoe; experiments have shown that highly unlikely).

At the same time, there’s been only halting progress on fixes that would address safety concerns. The UCI now requires rotors to have a rounded edge profile. But rotor covers are still not required (or used even voluntarily). But gradually, disc brakes are being used in races without catastrophic results, which is blunting the safety criticisms."
(https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...o-racing-2018/)

I'm glad that I live in a world where a few injuries (among millions of miles ridden and raced with discs) don't equal a "serious physical injury risk"

Last edited by ogmtb; 10-28-18 at 05:19 PM.