View Single Post
Old 07-09-19, 12:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
This old retro-grouch finds vibration a little amusing, We never considered it. Rode skinny tubulars for decades, then 23c. Started going wider for more secure grip and lower likelihood of crashes as I got older and crash injuries piled up. I now ride 28c Vittoris G+ on my good bikes and will go to 25c G+ on my skinny tired bike when my older Open Paves wear out, but the 28c was mostly because I was going to do a little off-pavement with those tires.

I still don't like riding squishy tires. I'll put up with it if I am going off-pavement that ride. But those 28c tires get 90 psi on pavement. Not s whole lot squishier than the silks I raced 40 years ago.

And my bikes? Reynolds 531 or equivalent or stiff, unbutted ti. Forks, mostly 531. No vibration damping at all. (Steel and ti are near perfect spring materials.) I do concede a little on my handlebar grips and use two layers of cloth or thin Fizik tape. (Mostly because my hands simply aren't as tough as they were decades ago. Bigger bars to wrap my hands around feel better.) Ti railed seats on most of my bikes. (And two of my bike have ti seatposts, one a ti stem. Ti seatposts because they are custom, expensive, big setback posts built by a framebuilder who specializes in ti. A couple of bucks more got me the ti tubing he kept in stock. The stem was simply a way to keep the loan from China Pres. Bush gave us local. I cannot tell a difference from the $70 Ritchie stem it replaced.

Ben