Thread: 2019 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 12:12 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL

An Emu in the Wisconsin countryside. Apparently it is a thing up in this area to raise them. Who knew?

After a 17 month streak, I didn't do any brevets (or 200K perms) in July or August. I did ride some populaires and permanents but had other cycling adventures that I wanted to do instead. This past Saturday was the Psychedelic Eagle 200K that started from Woodstock, IL and went north up to Eagle, WI. We had really nice weather with the exception of the headwinds on the stretches where we were going west. The weather forecast had said 6-8 mph but the winds ended up being stronger than that. Combined with rollers in that area, I got dropped but regrouped with another friend, @abshipp in Eagle. Had company most of the rest of the ride. It was nice to catch up with friends. Finished in under 11 hours which is good for me. I'm not a fast rider.
@kingston was doing the 600K that also started from Woodstock on Saturday. There was a 400K loop and then they did the 200K that we rode on Saturday. Not sure if he got wet as there was rain down by me on Sunday morning. Hopefully he will check in with an update.

Next up is our season closer 200K starting in Evanston in 2 weeks. We are also planning out next year's ride calendar this month. A lot of fun things to look forward to in 2020!
Always great to ride with you @GadgetGirlIL!

I had something more detailed typed out, but I ended up losing it when I had to restart my computer. Oh well.

This was my first brevet this year, and I was a little apprehensive about it due to my longest ride this year only being 70 miles.

Turns out there wasn't anything to worry about. I felt strong the whole way through, and being able to ride with some great people for 90% of the ride made the miles just fly by. We had a core group of about 4 people riding together for most of it, with us only really getting strung a bit out in the middle when the rollers started.

I believe my finishing time was 10' 36", so that was about 45 minutes faster than my last (and first) 200k. Pretty happy with that.

Great route, great company, and great weather. I don't think anything could have possibly gone better.