Old 02-22-21, 08:42 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
To be fair, I think a lot of people seek out information that doesn't really apply to their current needs, then having waded into training advice for more advanced cyclists, find themselves in a morass of apparently conflicting advice. Plus I think a lot of new riders want an instant cure for being dropped, which as we all know doesn't exist.
Agreed,
a lot of it is over-eager beginners thinking they can CAT up to level 2 in a single summer, and unless extremely gifted physiologically, it is going to require likely more than they honestly can either time-wise, or mentally to get there. Part of the issue (IMHO), is many beginners who are not juniors, are middle aged people who, after college and a few years in an office, are looking for something to rekindle the excitement of competition, and also to get in shape.

At that point, you are likely beginning with NO base, likely limited talent, and limited time. I just wish coaches out there would be more directing these types not to regimented coaching and training, and more offer say, at most, $100 to plan out a year of just riding, routes to challenge themselves, and maybe even a few "test" rides in which they can measure their progression. But the entire point of the next few years should be not about mentally thinking about competing, but mentally trying to find as many routes and ride types to enjoy riding.
Likes For Het Volk: