Old 11-05-18, 03:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
Is there bench-testing for modern track frames published anywhere, and additionally, have there been on-track tests comparing various racing frames? It'd be interesting to read such things.

Going to carbon from aluminum on my road bikes was a significant step forward in several respects including vibration dissipation, ride quality and handling (plus acceleration and climbing with lower mass). I would imagine that even with far fewer surface quality variables on track versus road, the aero and acceleration performance improvements alone could be important considerations.

I feel like this is somewhat of a recreational discussion, as the irrational gear-guy inner voice just says, "Who cares about proof of why they're better, they're obviously more aero, lighter and look killer, what more reason do you need? Just sell one of the kids and get carbon!"
Unfortulately, I don't know of any empirical tests of track frames. I've been asking for such for years (or at least wishing for it here).

If it makes you feel any better, I've had more money than sense when I came to bikes. I've owned:
- 2 custom alu Tiemeyers
- Dolan DF3
- LOOK 496
- Felt TK1
- Felt TK FRD
- Custom Snyder Steel
- Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon
- Bianchi Pista
- Bianchi Pista Concept

And I can honestly say that the aluminum Tiemeyers and steel Snyder were on-par with the LOOK and Felts and the Dolan was soft like the Bianchis under my fat butt (and moderate torque output). But, it is to be noted that Mr. Tiemeyer and Mr. Snyder both took my weight and power output into consideration and beefed up the tubing accordingly to make them stiff enough for me. If I hopped on some other rider's Tiemeyer or Snyder, I might find them noodly as well.