Old 12-20-18, 04:28 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben
Ive always had matched tyres in the past - any issue with having mismatched front / rears if they have different max PSI or grip for example?
Not really, unless you are running tires that are very far apart in their inherent qualities. You also want to match tires to your preferred/most used track.

On a shallow, outdoor concrete track, you might want to run tires that trend closer to road tires in qualities. Something a little bigger, durable, and lower psi if it's bumpy and you're not pulling more G's in the turns. A steeper wood track would require a more supple casing, softer rubber, and a higher psi. Here you're looking to mitigate tire squirm to give you better feedback and more predictable handling.

I "mismatched" tires all the time to dial in what I needed/preferred from each tired based on being front or rear. The front tire on a track bike sees more forces placed upon it the steeper the track. I would put a softer, higher psi tire on the front for steep tracks for this reason. For shallow tracks I didn't really care what tire combos I was running because it's harder to get a tire to its limits on a big shallow track.