Old 02-18-19, 12:49 AM
agealy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compatibility for vintage / modern wheel build

I've got some time on my hands over the next few weeks, so I'm planning to try my hand at building a wheelset.

I found an old pair of shimano 600 tricolor 32h hubs at the local bike kitchen in excellent condition, clean and smooth. They appear identical to these. Rear spacing is 130mm, not 126 as that page might suggest. I was planning to lace these to some DT Swiss r460 rims.

Now the compatibility question. I'd like to set these up with a wide range 1x cassette. SRAM states their 11-42 PG-1130 fits onto 10-speed driver bodies despite being an 11-speed cassette. Will that cassette or any other with an 11t small cog fit on my vintage rear hub? Sheldon seems to suggest my hub may have a "non-compact" freehub body. If that's the case, should I swap the freehub body for one that is compact? I have an ultegra donor that could be good for this. Add a 1mm spacer as Sheldon suggests? Or should I just swap the 11t for a 12t? I'm planning this to go on a 1x commuter so I don't think I would miss the top end range that much. Any advice would be appreciated!