View Single Post
Old 02-20-19, 07:36 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt123
I understand some folks confusion around road bike vs wide tires. I’d like to be able to switch as needed. There are road heavy routes near me and trail heavy routes near me. I guess I’m thinking I would setup accordingly with wider or narrower tires.

I like Ike the look of the awol. When I’m at my pc I will look closer at what drives the price difference between the models.

I wish there was a stocking salsa and surly dealer remotely near me so I could go look and touch.

Thanks
I looked at the specs. for the 3 different AWOL models. I don't think the price jump from $1200 (base) to $2100 (middle) to $2500 (top) is worth it. Hydraulic disks are nice, but not really nec. IMO because the TRP Spyre mechanical disks are solid. The higher-model drivetrains don't really impress compared to the Sora triple and 12-36 cassette on the base. Fenders, racks, and the dyno-hub on the $2500 model can be added for about a third of the $1300 price increase over the base.

Stangely, the Specialized website shows all sizes of the AWOL as 'Out of Stock' - I read elsewhere that the AWOL may not be available for 2019 - not sure.

Maybe the Spec. Sequoia is the way to go - not sure about the specs. or load limit on that model.