View Single Post
Old 11-29-17, 12:26 PM
solbey11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kicking around the idea of selling my 2013 Allez Race DSW and getting a 2018 Roubaix base with Tiagra. But the more I look at the Diverge, I'm wondering if that's ideally what I'm looking for. My current thoughts are buying an absolute base model E5 and swapping my Sram Red 22 components over along with my saddle,seatpost,stem,handlebars. And with the base model costing $1000 MSRP, I could probably sell my Allez DSW frame and wheelset and come close to breaking even. Does that make sense to buy a brand new bike and hang all of my old components on it? It would definitely be an upgrade over the stock 8 speed Sora components.

I know the Diverge isn't a race bike but I'm not a racer. I'm finding more gravel/dirt/broken asphalt roads around my home and they aren't being kind to my Allez. Comfort isn't an issue but my 25mm tires aren't holding up well to the road surface. So I don't think losing the FutureShock will be an issue and without it, I may be able to dial my current fit in a little better without it as well.

I also like to use a Kinetic RoadMachine trainer from time to time when I don't have time to just go out and I've read a lot of comments saying it's safe to ride a carbon frame on a trainer, but Specialized doesn't recommend it. So the E5 frame will take the worry out of that issue. And also with the E5 frame, I will be able to pull my son's tag-along with it.

I will still primarily use the bike on the road but after reading Lazyass's comments about not being any slower on his Diverge makes me feel more comfortable about changing bikes.

Can anybody chime in and tell me if this is a stupid idea or not?

Last edited by solbey11; 11-29-17 at 12:37 PM.