View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 09:48 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
normally it's at the bend, but I did have a spat of spokes breaking right at the nipple. As for the spokes used, I'm not 100% sure. I'm think they are wheelsmith spokes. Will have to check later. At this point, I have tried every wheelbuilder I can reach in my area.
Both of those failure modes point to fatigue. Spokes breaking at the bend is purely fatigue and can be solved by higher tension. Higher tension is a clyde/heavy weight necessity (but staying withing the tension parameters for the rim). One thing to look for is to make sure that butted spokes are being used. Some builders will look at straight gauge spokes as being strong, but what straight gauge spokes do is transfer all the strain to the ends of the spoke. Butted spokes have smaller diameters in the middle part of the spoke. This smaller diameter allows the spoke to stretch and so takes some of that deload stress away from the bend and the nipple. Spokes breaking at the nipple can be due to too much angle coming from the spoke bending at the nipple to go to the hub. This can be assisted/solved by choosing rims that have offset spoke holes that allow the line from the nipple through to the hub to be straightened.

Perhaps put more of your time into searching up the appropriate components and maybe even purchase the parts yourself and get a builder to assemble them for you. Also have a look at what the wheelbuilders are proposing to use for your build and be prepared to advise them that what they want to use may not be appropriate for the weights that your bike is taking.