View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 05:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

The amount of float in clipless cleats can be a factor as well. I like my Look Delta cleats with lots of float, but it also requires more twisting to unclip. Fortunately unclipping from Look Delta cleats is smooth, free of friction and responds with a distinct feel and sound. But they're terrible for walking.

You know about Kool Kovers I trust. Rubber covers you place over the cleats. (They make them for Deltas, KEOs and SPD-SLs) Saves both your butt and the cleats. They come with a clip to hang from a seat rail or strap at the back of a tool bag but I go to REI for the much nicer (and quicker to use) key-holder carabiners. They cost ~$20 or just about exactly the cost of the cleats.

Yesterday I learned the other use for those carabiners. If you use a Chain Watcher (or any of its rivals) the day will come when you jam the chain through to the BB. Solution? Pull the chain up form the BB in front of the derailleur with the carabiner. Drop chain and carabiner on the large chainring with the derailleur shifted to high. Lift the bike and pedal. You may have to work the derailleur a little to get started but I found the rings neatly pulled the chain past the Chain Watcher. Unclip the carabiner, shift back down to a usable gear and go.

Ben