Old 05-09-19, 06:25 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Would that mess with shifting? Either with the deraileur due to the big # of tooth jump between middle and inner, or with the ramps and pins?
I run a 9s Deore M590 crankset with 48-36-22 for the same reason. It works fine for me. Specific Sheldon Brown's page on FD: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/front-derailers.html He says that surprisingly, the size of the "granny" chainring has little effect on derailer performance. Many cyclists customize their "road triple" cranksets by installing a more-useful smaller ring in place of the 30 that comes stock.

You may encounter some problems with low/absent chain tension in low-low gears which you should not be using anyway (insufficient RD capacity). For example, I have M591 RD, which is rated for 45t wrap capacity. The front difference is 48-22=26, rear is 34-11=23. The total is 26+23=49, which slightly exceeds 45. Not a problem for me, YMMV.

Edit: when shifting from the middle to the granny ring under some load, the chain may drop. "Dog fang" chain catchers can help.