Old 08-21-19, 05:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Heh...unlikely. This gearing can do 25 MPH at a reasonable cadence, and I don't really feel like I have much need to go faster. I had a mile+ descent last weekend where I topped 28 MPH coasting, and I found it terrifying, can't imagine why I would want to pedal down that hill.

I just wish bike mfr's put gearing on that was more realistic for average-joe riders. Can't believe 1:1 low gears (or higher!) on endurance/gravel/adventure bikes....but that's a topic for another time.
I know what you mean. My similarly geared bike is a 26in wheeled bike, and I spin out at about 50-55kph, and thats really spinning out, very fast cadence. Especially if you are not into going fast, I agree 100% on the gearing, and anyway, with this gearing we can still bike along comfortably at 25 mph, 40kph, which frankly, never happens.
The times I have been able to hold 30kph, or 20mph, is reallllllly rare.
and all the times I have set speed records on bicycles downhill, I've been way past redline anyway, and am coasting, so its a moot point.

the main reason I mentioned that, is that for unloaded riding, the 36 mid ring is more versatile, with the 44/32 setup, we tend to find ourselves at the end of the 32 range and having to shift up to the 44t ring--but it aint a big deal with the 44/32/22 overall, and as you clearly appreciate, the lower gearing is great at times.