Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp 950

Originally Posted by queerpunk
I can't tell when they stopped making it though; it would be practically free, so - investigating.
I really liked my 950 (ridden by me in 2011/2012)

these are sort of Cult Favorites, and you still see them in play quite regularly. I have heard claims by national team sprinters that they are a favorite because their lateral stiffness exceeds Zipps modern disc- and rivals the higher end new disc by other producers..

I have had issues with other manufactures convertible axles and ive never been crazy about allen bolt track nuts.. but both work quite well on the 950. I really liked how easily the bearings could come out- making it possible to easily service them and lube them with very light oil for key events, and then go back to thicker grease.. (i get a little carried away sometimes!)

I did see 2 guys strip the cog threading this year (one was my old 950) so its worth being extra cautious of the threads and possibly doing as i did and just leave a 14t on always..

this is an old wheel- so obviously use your best judgement as to is quality and safety.. but i have heard people say this wheel is from the era where Carbon was more often over-built than under...

if it is free- it is certainly worth a look..

-Q