View Single Post
Old 04-10-19, 08:17 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonMP
HI. I'm after an old 56cm Surly Steamroller with a 1" head tube for a threaded fork. Thanks.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but IIRC - 2002 or so was the last year that 'Rollers took 1" quill stems, so you have your work cut out for you...

Since it is so unlikely to find one, may I suggest that you look at alternatives? Like a Soma Rush, which AFAIAC fits in the same general niche as a SR, but does have a 1" head tube, and while I'm not positive what fork it comes with now - I do know for a fact that at some time in the recent past it did have a threaded fork.

If you are absolutely stuck on getting a Steamroller, which I can understand from having had one myself that I passed to my son who has been riding the hell out of for years now...and must have a quill, and don't mind using an extra doohickey to get your quill stem - Soma does have a weirdly cool little item they call the Quill-inator that is the reverse of the usual quill-to-threadless adaptor and actually lets you put a quill stem into a threadless fork.

Or you might consider a 1-1/8" quill-look stem like VeloOrange's Tall Stack. I'm not sure if its the original or not but there are also several other manufacturers offering other versions of the same theme at various price points. I use the VO model on my only 1-1/8" threadless steertube bike and it is not bad looking at all, in fact I even get an occasional compliment on it.

Good luck...