View Single Post
Old 03-29-18, 04:48 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I normally stay out of these discussions, as you aren't going to change anyone's mind in general.
Parts fail. Doesn't matter where they come from.
The differences are quality control and service past when you buy them. By doing your research and buying from "chinarello" sellers with long, detailed history and feedback you can usually suss out the former. The latter you're going to be on your own almost certainly. If 3T has recurring issues with bars (something that has certainly happened in the past) then they send out recalls/fixes. (doesn't help you at all if you're one of the one's that it happened to in the first place though) If your Chinarello's have broken on 40 people doing standing starts, it's very unlikely you'll ever know about it (other than word of mouth)

That said, there is no great outcry of chinarello bikes/bars/wheels/etc exploding under riders. Does it happen, yes. The question you have to answer for yourself is what is an acceptable amount of risk you're willing to take. Nobody can answer that for you.

Shaping/molding carbon is not some wizardly art. If a facility is set up to produce it in the first place, there's a good chance it's fairly well made. Most of the shoddy shops can't compete to stay in business. Not in every case, but this isn't the wild west any more of some dude making fake scatto's in his garage.

Personally, I have used knock off parts, however I don't ever recommend them to someone else.