Old 04-25-19, 09:05 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Support is something I do for my children, not other people's businesses.

A business has to earn my money every time I call or walk in the front door.
This.

This all day long.

You run a business, not a charity.

I understand that a LBS has to charge more than REI. REI buys in much larger volume from the supplier and gets a better price, and can do a smaller profit margin that is made up with volume. The LBS pays more for the parts wholesale, and has to make a higher profit margin because they don't have as many sales.

So I get it. The LBS has to be more expensive than the large retailer. It's not their fault.

But they have to provide a value add to make it worth my money to go to the LBS.

I needed a chain a few months ago. I wanted a Sram chain that comes in 3 or 4 different grades. REI had the mid grade one for $11. The LBS has the low grade one for $25.

I like the LBS, but no. I'm not giving them a 250% mark up and getting the lower quality part just because they are working hard. I also worked hard to earn that $25. I'm not just going to give away $14 of it.

If they want me to pay a mark up, add something of value like do a full drive chain cleaning and install the chain for me.

I personally wouldn't pay $14 for a cleaning and lube because it's easy and I kinda like doing it. But you get my drift. If you want me to pay more than REI will charge me for the part, give me more than REI gives me for $11.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 04-25-19 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks: