Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Tomorrow evening i am going to meet a couple of friends that i haven't seen for a long time and they are bringing some alcohol to celebrate.
The problem is that they are going to drive back home afterwards and having already had a similar situation that ended up with a fight, i don't know how to deal with it this time.
Most people seem to become more confident after drinking and claim to know their limits but the problem is that they are endangering not only their own lives, but the lives of everyone else on the road, cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers.
I tried to explain that to the friend i had a fight with.. and he left without a word after me saying it is immature to think that one can know one's limits after drinking alcohol because alcohol is already distorting the appreciation of the state of mind.
i don't want to spoil the meeting, i can have fun and enjoy the company without drinking alcohol, but i don't think i will be able to ignore the problem. The society i live in is mostly muslim and those who drink lack clearly a culture of drinking.
Any advice ?
It's unclear what "some" alcohol means. Are they only bringing a few beers or just a bottle of wine, or a keg of beer and a 1/2 gallon of Jack Daniels ? There's drinking, and then there's.......drinking.
Also, it sounds like a "fight" is only going to start, if you insist on standing on some supposed moral high-ground, and make an issue of it.
So, some adults are planning to consume a little alcohol at a reunion of friends. Big deal. While it may not be ideal in some ways, it probably ain't the end of the world, either.
I would suggest you get over it, and not let it derail your visit with your old friends.