View Single Post
Old 10-13-18, 02:28 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
My theory is if the threads are cut, and you can see they are cut & seperating, then replace the tire.

I run Mr. Tuffy liners now and am not so worried about tire condition, but I still inspect regularly. As a commuter, I don't want to risk a tardy attendance on account of a shard of glass or a staple.

One time, I got a slice in a racing tire. I got a flat right through the liner and everything. I pulled out the offending object, patched the tube, and rode the last 80 miles of the century with the casing split & the liner plainly visible. There was a flap of tire coming loose near the end & I could feel it with every revolution, but the liner held everything together.

If you are concerned, Mr. Tuffy or the competing brand Stop Flat (No Flat?) is great piece of mind. Buying 1 size larger than the package says has been a good idea in my experience.
I've tried rhinodillos. The ride is more sluggish. They definitely slow you down. Fewer flats for sure, but they don't prevent flats altogether as glass and goatheads can cause punctures just outside the liner.