Old 09-14-20, 12:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It is pretty impressive how well a fully inflated sew-up fits on a clincher rim.
They fit even better on traditionally shaped 27”/630mm wheels.The level where the rim strip goes ends up at a very similar diameter as to where the tire mounts to a tubular rim.
.... although it's a little hard to imagine being in that kind of situation.
Want to run high pressure on a non-hooked rim? Use a tubular.
Or one of those MacGyver situations where the desire to get something to work with what’s at hand at the moment is very strong.
I would totally trust one ...
As stated, I’ve tried it. Admittedly not during alpine descents or podium-finish efforts, but certainly under what for me goes as ”regular” riding, no special considerations.
On my wheels they became prone to flats, which made them long-term impractical. But getting a flat is hardly a new risk, so not much of a concern.
​​​​​​​
I'd corner very carefully and I would minimize braking on that wheel too to prevent the tire's creeping and ripping out the valve.
I had no concerns at all about cornering, but the creep had to be addressed. Double sided sticky tape or a folded strip of duct tape to the inside of the rim sorted it out for me.
...There's no way I would do this for anything besides getting home or a repair place though.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​I can think of one or two other reasons.
But I agree with your general opinion. Running a tubular/clincher combo isn’t a goal in itself, it’s a tolerable way of achieving something else. Getting a bike rideable with what’s at hand, extending the use of some vintage wheels etc.