View Single Post
Old 05-25-17, 11:54 AM
2222Beaver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
...where are you located? By your handle, I'd guess Oregon. We have a lot of active members there, most centered around Portland, of course.
I'm in Sammamish, WA. Bought the bikes from Gregg's Cycle on Green Lake. I found this site with a Google search.

Originally Posted by gugie
I've seen bikes that a shops have claimed had a crack in them but were only paint cracks. Can you post a picture of the crack? By all means don't ride it until and when you know it's ok.
Unfortunately, the bike is in shop in Issaquah waiting for a new fork replacement. When I get it back next week, I'll take some photos of my two bikes as well as the "cracked" fork.

I should mention that back in the 70's I tried to drive into our garage with my bike on top of the car. That bent the fork and at the time, Gregg's just straightened it out for me. The only thing I recall seeing is a bit of the chrome peeled off the two fork tines where it was bent and straightened. Admittedly, I never looked for cracks. However, I've been riding the bike off & on over the years, even was rear ended by a car at a Ferry terminal (but that's another story). The bike always seemed OK but I thought I'd get a second opinion before venturing out on it again. Maybe being just a bit older I've gotten a bit smarter (LOL)

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I got a NOS Raleigh fork for a '73 Super Course for $39 on ebay. It was all chrome, but I had the upper half painted to match the frame. It rides beautifully. It has the original Raleigh 26 tpi thread. No brainer. Search ebay, they aren't hard to find.
I did check ebay and nothing there presently. But I'll keep checking. In the mean time, the Issaquah bike shop only wanted $50 for a new fork and with that, I can ride (with peace of mind) until I can find a similar part.