View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 10:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
It's hard to buy junk. There is plenty around if you try hard & are super cheap. But in your price range, absolute garbage is hard to come by. Simple double wall aluminum wheels 24-32 spokes in the rear, 20-28 spokes in the front ought to do you fine.

I just bought a 20 spoke HED Belgium front from WheelBuilder for $350 It's 100 grams lighter than the Alex Race 28 it replaced. The full set with Powertap hubs is a full 10 ounces lighter than the Alex rims.

Db-R460's / R460's are plentiful & are plenty light, and relatively cheap too. They often come OEM on Fuji's and people just take them off because they want fancy carbon ultra-whatevers. YMMV. My only experience with those were what I saw on an all-weather bike, the guy claimed had 20,000 miles. The brake tracks were dangerously worn out. (That's why they were free to me) 20k miles is an awful lot for such light wheels imo. But they worked and felt good.

My commuter has Velocity A23's. They were $75 each plus the usual build cost. The rims weighed ~470 grams or so.

I wouldn't shell out big bucks for carbon unless you had a specific purpose in mind. They are nice, don't get me wrong, it's just that the cost benefit over quality aluminum isn't as strong as industry advertizing would have you believe.

Last edited by base2; 03-07-18 at 10:11 AM.