View Single Post
Old 11-22-18, 08:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I've noticed that it is mostly local/municipal governments that are restricting the dockless scooters and bikes, so it is difficult to know what interests are behind those restrictions. It may be local car dealerships, insurance companies, auto mechanics, etc. who are afraid of losing business. Somehow these anti-competitive actions need to be stopped.
I see no reason to think that those entities play any role. Restrictions are imposed because the scooters are a nuisance. They annoy pedestrians and all the other folks who need to use already busy and congested urban sidewalks. City officials would be negligent if they allowed an unfettered proliferation of these vehicles to continue. It has nothing to do with being anti-competitive, it's a responsible action city officials are compelled to take in the interests of the majority of citizens using the public sidewalks. I believe these enterprises will prove economic failures and they'll be substantially gone in a few years in any case, but in the interim I understand why a lot of people would think they were a PITA.