View Single Post
Old 02-15-20, 10:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If you tie a shoelace knot right--it doesn't need double knotting...unless you're using very slippy shoelaces.
Double knots are easy, allow long enough laces to double as winter laces with far more socks and - fix gears - you never want anything to get tangled in the drivetrain. Especially if it is attached to you. Something is going to break. The bike isn't stopping. Better hope the lace breaks. It's bones in your foot if it doesn't. Double knots are very cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the theory is that BOA allows you to tighten or loosen your shoe while still riding, to adjust fit as your feet swell up or whatnot. That said, I have to say it's pretty rare that I've really felt the need for a mid-ride adjustment. I suppose the pros while out on a non-stop 200km stage might find a benefit.
I made a point of lacing my shoes up carefully before races. I don't recall ever thinking about my feet during a race. Not in a 5 hour plus race. Not even when the start got delayed 2 hours. That race I realized I was still wearing my shoes lace up tight sitting in the van halfway home after a 4 hour, very hard race. So 9 hours after I put them on. Now straps are a completely different story. I have often had to adjust straps to juggle between aggravating pressure points on the top of my foot and blisters resulting for loosening them because of that pressure. Yes, if I had to use modern systems, I'd consider BOA over straps.

(I am completely unafraid to use unusual lacing patterns to customize the contact with the tops of my feet. I use all the holes and lace fairly tight on my left foot and just over half and go much looser on my right on my favorite fix gear shoes. Looks very odd. I'm oblivious until I take them off. And these are the shoes I do my hardest climbing in.)

Ben