View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 09:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
Since I've starting playing with tubeless ready rims, I have to say, taping them properly has become one of the most hated chores I've ever had to do on a bike. Getting two layers of tape on just right -- reasonably well centered, tight, and evenly overlapped, without bubbles or creases -- is a thumb-busting PITA. Then you get it perfect and go to cut the valve hole by cutting a cross in it, and it splits a little too far up onto the rim bed and you have to pull it up and start all over again, or else it will start leaking around the valve. Or you mount the tire and in the process discover that you pulled up an edge of the tape with your tire lever, so time to start all over again, etc. UST-style sealed rims definitely have their benefits.
This reinforces my premise that wheels that require tape to install road tubeless tires are a waste of time. I have been using Campagnolo Shamal 2way fit wheels for as long as they have been available. No rim tape, tires mount easily and seal up often only using my regular pump. No muss, very little fuss. These wheels are specifically designed for road tubeless tires. I cannot imagine riding road tubeless tires with wheels that would require that they be taped for tubeless use. Any "tubeless ready" wheel that requires tape isn't tubeless ready